Tochal Mountain Tehran
Tochal Mountain of Tehran is in the Alborz range with a ski resort adjacent to metropolitan Tehran. The mountain has a 12 km long ridgeline. The highest peak, also called Mount Tochal, is at an elevation of 3,933 m (13,005 feet). The ridge line is a popular recreational region for Tehran's residents. A gondola lift, named Tochal Telecabin, runs from Tehran to the Tochal Ski Resort and the modern Tochal Hotel, all as a part of Tochal Complex.
A number of peaks are accessible from the Tochal main ridge or by their own climbing paths. Peaks (from west to east) include:
- Lavarak (3560m): accessible by main Tochal ridge or Imamzade Davood climbing path.
- Bazarak (3753m): accessible by main Tochal ridge or Imamzade Davood climbing path.
- Palang-chal (3520m): accessible from Darakeh valley and Palangchal Shelter.
- Sar-Bazarak (3640m): accessible from Palangchal peak and main Tochal ridge.
- Shah-Neshin (3875m): accessible from Tochal main ridge, Hezarcham path and south (Abshar-Dogholoo) ridge.
- Tochal (3933m): The highest peak of the range, accessible by any climbing path that ends on the Tochal main ridge. The usual path from Tehran is by the south ridge (normally from Shirpala shelter and Siahsang hut).
- Spilit (3120m): through Band-yakh-chal and Shervin hut by rock climbing or Klakchal ridge.
- West Lezon (3585m): accessible from Tochal main ridge, Kolakchal shelter or Shirpala shelter.
- East Lezon or Piaz-chal (3540m): accessible from Tochal main ridge, Kolakchal shelter or Shirpala shelter.
- Kolak-chal (3350m): from Kolakchal shelter (through Golab-dareh valley, Vezbad valley or Jamshidieh park)
- Siah-band (3320m): from Dar-abad valley and Dar-abad hut.
Tochal Mountain of Tehran has a long gondola lift beginning from Velenjak township valley at 1900m, and ends in the last station at 3740m near the main ridge of Tochal. This gondola lift is used for accessing ski resorts and other recreational centers on the mountain. The gondola lift has four stations:
- Station 1 is at an elevation of 1900m and located at the beginning of Velenjak valley (end of Velenjak Street). Parking, inns and some other facilities are available.
- Station 2 is at 2400m and has very limited facilities.
- Station 5 is at 2935m. There is a restaurant and a rescue center. This station is in the middle of one of the ski slopes (open mid winter only). This station is also accessible through several climbing paths like Shirpala shelter, Osoon valley and Palang-chal shelter.
- Station 7 is at 3740m and very close to the Tochal main ridge. It is the last station of the gondola lift. This station is in the middle of the Tochal ski slope. The Tochal main peak is 30 minutes walk from this point. This station is also reachable from Hezar-cham climbing path from Station 5.
Need to Know
The Tochal Mountain telecabin project is under management of Mr. Batmanghlich and with cooperation of Poma Co from France and Doppel Mayr Co from Austria, stating operation from 1974 and opened for public use on 1978. The complex is open for skiing, archery, ziplining, and climbing throughout the year.
For general up-to-date information about Tochal Mountain of Tehran, here is the official site from the Tochal complex:
Opening hours: Generally 08:00 to 15:00 (Tue-Sun), closed Mondays. Telecabin opening hours subject to weather patterns, call Tochal Telecabins for weather updates.
Address: Tochal Telecabin Co. Northern Of Velenjak St.Yemen Ave.Chamran Highway,Tehran
Getting there: Arrive at Tajrish Metro, and catch a public minibus or taxi from there.
Telephone: +98 21-24875000
Prices: admission varies between stations. Ski 500,000 Toman (US $170), and Station 5 return 270,000 Toman (US $90). However it's cheaper one-way trips.
Fifteen More Reasons to Visit Tehran
- Tips for Dizin Ski Resort
These are just some of the most famous places to visit in Tehran. But the real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
The best way to discover Tehran is to hire an experienced local tour guide. Either compare the packaged Iran tours or join a cheap Tehran Walking Tour to learn about it's rich history and inspiring culture. You'll get more information of the places to visit in Tehran with an experienced local tour guide.
Where to Stay
My favorite luxury hotels in Tehran are the 5 Star Espinas Hotel and Parsian Azadi Hotel Tehran (ex-Grand Hyatt Hotel prior to revolution), both with professional staff and great views from different parts of Tehran. Double rooms start from US $230 and $250 respectively, including breakfast.
Decent 4 Star Hotels also include Niloo Hotel and Escan Hotel. Or for more budget options, the 3 Star Rated Mashad Hotel is right next to Taleghani Metro and provides comfort at US $130 for a double, including breakfast. Otherwise Iran Central Hotel (Hotel Markazi), Firouzeh Hotel, and Golestan Hotel Tehran are also some of the better budget options under $80/night.
Or hostels in Tehran range from $10 U.S. per night for the budget travellers.
There are also options to lodge at the cabins at Tochal Hotel. Double rooms start from US $105, including breakfast. Comfortable apartments are also available.
Where to Eat Nearby
Not far away from the tourist center of Tehran is the popular Gol Rezaeieye Cafe serving great traditional Iranian meals in a cute and hip American diner setting. Dizi Restaurant is also rated highly on Trip Adviser for a great stew, or Coffeeshop and Veggie Restaurant serves only vegetarian meals if that's more you (conveniently near Artists Park in Tehran). Or for a great cup of coffee checkout Romaan Book Cafe near the Italian Embassy (what a perfectly match). However there are also convenient restaurants at Tochal mountain Tehran around Stations 1 and 5.
What do you think of Tochal Mountain Tehran? Leave your comments below.
Follow us: @Sfiran_Travel